Frequently Asked Questions About Chip Fractures/Avulsion Fractures

Chip Fracture: Treatment & Facts

Avulsion fractures – also known as chip fractures – and the process that comes after can be very confusing. Many people are not aware of what a chip fracture is or the steps to take after the injury occurs. There are many different types of chip fractures and many options for your recovery, depending on the severity of the injury and the nature in how it occurred.

Below are some questions that are often asked about avulsion fractures. If you have any questions about your injury or proceeding with council that aren’t answered here, or if you would like further guidance on legal options available to you, we are happy to help. Give us a call at 888-804-5044 to speak to an avulsion injury attorney about your case.

Q: What is an avulsion/chip fracture?

A: An avulsion fracture – or chip fracture – occurs when a muscular contraction causes a ligament or tendon to tear away part of the bone, resulting in a bone chip. This can occur on any part of the body, but most commonly happens on areas of the body with joints. The most frequently seen chip fractures include ankle avulsion fractures, foot avulsion fractures, finger avulsion fractures, hip avulsion fractures, and knee avulsion fractures.

Q: What are my treatment options?

Answers to Chip Fracture Questions

A: The severity of an avulsion injury can greatly vary, and the level of pain or swelling at the time can be misleading of the actual severity of the injury. This is why it is important to seek medical council as soon as you can after the trauma occurs. If left untreated, the chip fracture could get worse or lead to lifelong troubles. Depending on the severity of your chip fracture, treatment can be anything from ice, rest, and immobilization, to possibly needing multiple surgeries. This is why it is important to see a doctor after the incident occurs.

Q: What can I expect from my doctor?

A: It is important that you do a little research, if possible, before your visit so you can accurately describe your injury and pain and ask any questions you may have so that you are diagnosed and treated properly. Your doctor may have you see a radiologist to take an MRI or x-rays and perform a medical exam.

Q: What are my options if I have an avulsion injury due to neglect or carelessness from another party?

A: You have the option to seek legal counsel to regain any monetary losses due to lost wages, current medical bills, medical bills, and pain and suffering that may accrue in the future. If you decide to seek legal counsel, we can help guide you through the process and will also help with any paperwork, a settlement negotiation, or possible litigation. Should you like to seek legal counsel or if you have any questions feel free to call us at 888-804-5044.

Q: How much can I get from my chip fracture personal injury case?

A: The result of your chip fracture case can have a multitude of different outcomes based on the severity of your injury and how the injury took place. You may have a higher outcome depending on where the trauma occurred on the body, how severe the avulsion is, if you have suffered permanent pain or limitations, how and in what nature the other party was involved in your injury, as well as several other possible factors. There are several examples listed on this website under each specific injury (ankle, foot, finger, hip, or knee avulsion fracture) to help you understand how much your avulsion fracture case may be worth.

Contact us Today About Your Chip Fracture Case

Personal injuries can be a stressful and taxing experience. However, with the right information as well as legal and medical counsel, you can ensure that your rights are protected. If you would like to speak to one of our avulsion injury attorneys regarding your chip fracture, call us today at 888-804-5044 or contact us online.